For some reason, I was unable to find time to sew a single stitch for several weeks. (Ever wonder how time gets away from you so quickly?) But once I got started, things progressed quickly! I have five of my SWAP garments done.
I sat down and did both pairs of Vilkas velour pants (Ottobre 4/2008, #2) in one evening. One pair is chocolate brown stretch velvet I got from Chez Ami last year (remember this skirt?) and the other pair is from organic cotton sweatshirt knit I got from Fabric.com. When it first arrived in the mail, it was a little brighter than I had anticipated and looked like a construction zone or hunter's vest, but Hubby picked it out of the pile and repeatedly told me how much he liked it, so I opted to keep it instead of exchanging it.
Next I made the Puolukka bodysuit (Ottobre 6/2009, #1). It may seem a bit strange to make a "baby" garment for my nearly-four-year-old daughter, but in addition to being warm, I thought it would afford nice coverage when she wears skirts and dresses. She loves to wear girly clothes, but she's very active and not always very modest yet. I made it of Michael Miller's Carnival Bloom interlock and a sturdy brown rib knit. I love it! So soft and thick! Not at all like the cheap stuff store-bought clothes are made from.
My fingers are crossed, hoping someone has some brilliant inspiration on how to keep the Bubblegum dot skirt (Ottobre 4/2009, #6) from looking so much like a pumpkin! I didn't want to applique the same flowers on it like I did the orange pants...maybe a bit of embroidery? But what subject? I thought a simple outline (done with thick yarn?) of something might be nice, but I haven't been struck with inspiration yet. The skirt is made of the same organic sweatshirt knit with a sturdy rib knit in dark green. I would have used the same brown ribbing as in the bodysuit, but I used every last scrap making the neck binding!
I had a very hard time wrapping my mind around the placement of the ties for the Cecilia jacket (Ottobre 6/2008, #4). I think the instructions may have been a little off, but after some serious pinning and pretending-to-wear-a-garment-not-yet-constructed, I finally had everything right. The flower is made of the very last tiny scraps of brown rib knit and a frosted pink button left over from some bridesmaids dresses my mom sewed when I was about 12!
My SWAP plan has undergone a few changes since I last posted it. I am making two Puolukka bodysuits (the other will be plain pink) and getting rid of the Retrokukka dress. I also added a Little Rosy cape made from polar fleece that matches my colors perfectly! It's actually already made, but I'm doing some hand sewing on it, so it's not quite ready to be photographed.