Sunday, March 27, 2011

Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl outfit

Toy Story 3 is very popular in our house. In fact, during the day on the weekdays it's on more often than not.  Little Guy will sit still and watch it long enough to fall asleep (which is why I put it on at naptime so often!).  He loves Buzz, in fact, he calls the whole movie "Buzz," but Miss M loves Jessie.  Wow, does she ever love Jessie!


When her grandma and auntie got tickets to go to Toy Story 3 on Ice this weekend, Miss M was over the moon!  She has a Jessie Halloween costume, but it's nothing more than a one-piece printed pajama-like suit and she's already outgrowing it.  She's been asking for a "real" Jessie suit and this seemed like the perfect excuse to sew her one!



I used materials I had on hand -- white cotton toweling, yellow quilting cotton, red piping (vintage), red ribbon, and a bit of white felt. Only the buttons were purchased specifically for this purpose.  I used Ottobre 6/2007 #19, the "Ollie" shirt.  The front "yoke" is nothing more than a piped appliqué sewed onto the front shirt panels!  Since Jessie-the-doll's shirt only has two buttons on the front, I used open ring snaps to close it and then sewed the buttons on over top.  The cuffs are 1 1/2 times the original pattern piece.  The chaps are from McCall's 2851. I shortened them significantly for my wee girl.



Yodel-ay-ee-hooo!

She was the best dressed little Jessie there, if I do say so myself!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dolly love

As I worked on my latest sewing project, Little Guy occupied himself with this sweet Raggedy Ann doll my friend gave me.


He lavished her with hugs and kisses and put her to bed again and again. Though he usually managed to get the blanket over her face and left her feet exposed!


I just had to grab the camera and capture his play.  He’s such a sweet boy!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Plaid Summer Shorts

I've done so much sewing for Miss M and hardly any for Little Guy. I decided to rectify that. He has plenty of t-shirts that fit right now, but he's short on pants, so I decided to make him a pair or two. I've never done a fly zipper, so I decided to try one.  It turned out pretty well, considering!


I made the "Alma corduroy pants" (Ottobre 4/2008, #6).  I cut up a pair of women's pants and used twill tape that had been in the lower leg of the original pants instead of cutting new belt loops.  The waistband is a bit of blue chambray I had left over from another project.  I made size 68 to fit Little Guy's waist.  I think the pattern is meant to be full-length pants, but it turned out to be more like long shorts. But I knew that because I measured the outseam and inseam before I started!


This is his "I'm not so sure I'm ready to be awake" look.  Can you believe how big he's getting?


I never knew that girls and boys pants flies are supposed to be opposites, just like their button-up shirts. Did you? The weird thing is that when I went on a hunt to see which way is which, ALL our pants were the same! Mine, Miss M's, Little Guy's, and Hubby's all overlapped exactly the same! (The boy way, in case you were wondering). Anyway, I got a little mixed up on the waistband and ended up having to put it on "inside out" which only means the outer portion is interfaced and the inner portion not. Not the worst of problems all told.


Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vaahtokarkki blouse and dress


It looks like I finished this up just in time for Miss M to enjoy today's beautiful spring weather!  I joined Sandra at Sugar Cubes and Spice Cake for a sew-a-long (although I fell behind working on a quilt for the kids' room instead).  The sew-a-long was helpful and loads of fun! I really enjoy seeing other people's execution of the same pattern.



Being the overachiever that I am, I decided to do two simultaneously. Hubby picked out the butterfly fabric from my stash (I purchased it at Tall Mouse when Miss M was less than a year old!).  The yellow gingham was a high thread-count men's shirt. I had to do some creative cutting to get all the pieces cut out.  I'll tell you a secret: the underside of the collar is pieced together since I couldn't quite fit everything!



The pattern is from Ottobre 1/2010, #15.  I made the yellow one exactly as directed, and the only things I changed on the other one was lengthening it to just below the knee and leaving off the frill.



To be perfectly honest, the sew along came at a difficult personal time. My younger brother was admitted to the hospital for the third time in a year. He is suffering from pancreatitis due to chronic alcoholism. He was in the hospital a week going through alcohol withdrawal. All the while, I suffered midgrade depression resulting in part from feeling of helplessness and fear for his well-being. I'm glad I agreed to participate in the sew along because I needed that focus and something to do with my hands.  It was quite therapeutic!