Over the long weekend, my friend Melly and I got together to do some bulk cooking! We had a lot of fun, but boy-howdy, it was a lot of work!
We pared and chopped 10 pounds of sweet potatoes, 10 pounds of red potatoes, 10 pounds of carrots, and so on.
Then we assembled four one-gallon bags (two for each of us) time nine recipes for a grand total of 36 meals! Each gallon bag is a single crockpot-worth of food, which for my family will actually be at least two meals and a lunch.
I found recipes via Pinterest, made a mega shopping list, and this is what we made:
- Lazy Day Stew (that I re-named Busy Day Stew) from Ring Around the Rosies.
- Chicken Curry from Mama and Baby Love.
- Cilantro Lime Chicken with black beans and corn also from Ring Around the Rosies.
- Healthy Mama BBQ Chicken from Mama and Baby Love.
- Savory Chicken from Ring Around the Rosies again.
- Savory Vegetable Beef Soup from The Test Kitchen of Melissa Fallis.
- Stephanie's Goulash also from Mama and Baby Love.
- Sweet and Tangy Meatballs from Ring Around the Rosies.
- Teriyaki Chicken from both The Test Kitchen of Melissa Fallis and Ring Around the Rosies.
I have made the curry, BBQ chicken, and goulash before and we liked them. I thought the curry needed salt, so I added 1 tsp. per bag this time around. Otherwise, no changes. We laughed at one recipe that called for a can of V8. I bought a 46 ounce can and Melly showed up with one the size of a can of soda! According to the comments on the Melissa's original post, the smaller can is correct. Guess mine'll be extra soupy!
As you can see, I covered the kitchen table with brown craft paper to make cleanup easier! I'm so glad I did -- there was enough of a mess as it was!!