Wednesday, August 19, 2009

In the Works

When I was pregnant with Miss M, I was working full time in accounting. I didn't have to take care of anyone other than myself and hubby (although he's pretty self-sufficient too). Welived in a teensy weensy one-bedroom apartment in Southern California -- not much to keep weather to speak of...and hubby did the laundry.  So I don't remember this "slowing down" where I can't seem to get anything done during the day.

In general, but even more so when I'm pregnant, I feel best about myself when I get at least a decent amount accomplished in a day. I hate going to bed at night feeling like the entire day was wasted 'cause nothing got done. Those feelings seem to be even stronger during pregnancy. Monday Miss M and I had dentist appointments. When we have something to do in the middle of the day like that, it seems to throw off our whole schedule and I usually don't get anything done at all. But I did pretty well a load of laundry finished, made spaghetti for supper, and designed the advent calendar I want to make. Yesterday was like our Monday, so I jumped right into the housework. I put all Miss M's toys away (with a bit of help from her!) and vacuumed her room.  I also finished the laundry and straightened the living room. The bathroom and kitchen still need help, but at least I got something done. But, man oh man, did I pay for it!

About midday I started having serious back pain. I have a pretty high level of pain tolerance, and I'm telling you, this was bad! Tylenol didn't help a bit (which I hate to take during pregnancy anyway even though the doctor said it's okay). I used a cold compress as the chiropractor had instructed me last time and that felt good while on, but didn't last long. And then I started throwing up! I don't know if the pain caused the digestive malfunction, or if it was the other way around. I couldn't keep anything down for about 3 hours...which started to get me a bit concerned. I knew if the vomiting kept up, I'd get dehydrated despite my best efforts and I'd have to seek medical attention. Thankfully, it stopped around 11:30 last night and I was able to rest and drink periodically through the night. According to the scale this morning, I'm 5 pounds lighter than I was late yesterday morning.

So today I'm banned from doing much. I don't want a repeat of yesterday and hubby has me under strict orders to "be lazy."  I think I'll still manage to hem a skirt I made for Miss M and do a few buttonholes to finish off the shirts I've been working on a few minutes at a time all weekend. Then I'll finally have something to show for my SWAP (Sewing with a Plan).

Aside from the SWAP, wanna know what else is in the works? Christmas presents! I've been making Christmas gifts all year thanks to the Holiday Handmade Crusade over on Craftster. I have quite a few finished up, but I still need to get the playmat done for my nephew.  I'm also dying to have an advent calendar this year.  Miss M will be three and I want to start an advent tradition. This weekend I designed the nativity characters I'm going to use; I just have to find time to get it made! (And if this admonition to "be lazy" becomes a common recurrence, I may have to get them done by handsewing rather than machine). I also have a pair of socks and a sweater on the needles for Miss M and there's that Regency style dress for me.  Oh, and I promised her a Cinderella dress for her birthday -- not cut out yet, but I washed the fabric!

Quite a bit in the works, and I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. If this little guy comes as early as Miss M, I still have at least a couple months to go. I'll go nuts if I can't do something in all that time!  (And please, please keep my in-laws away! They stress me out more than they could ever help...but that is a story for another day).

No comments:

Post a Comment